Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Petrel is Intimidating

Unless you're a petroleum engineer, chances are that most of you haven't even heard of the software "Petrel". It's one of the 'one-stop' solutions that has ensured the continued success of Schlumberger, the creators of Petrel, in their quest for dominating the petroleum service provider world.

Petrel is as useful as it is expensive and let me assure you, it is extremely expensive ! However, the person on whom the task of installing the Petrel software falls is in for a roller-coaster ride. In order to get this software working, we require a dongle and a license key. Not impressed ? Well, the truth is plugging in the dongle is the easy part. Figuring out that one has to create a locally hosted server, add the key file to it and then and only then run the Petrel software is what leads to many a 'left-scratching-my-head' moments !

Well, today I can finally say that at long last, I got the software up and running! Now all that's left is to understand how to work on developing a plug-in for it. It's going to be uphill from this already steep point. If ever there was a moment when I felt that I was in over my head, it's now. Usually, I'm quite the epicure, but right now, I've bitten off more than I can chew !

With deadlines closing in, the pressure is rising. No, this isn't a negative point. I've found that pressure is one of the best of stimuli that an engineer can have. I look forward to what my team and I can accomplish in the little time left with us !

No comments:

Post a Comment